The Ontario Clean Water Agency (OCWA) believes in Our Communities, Our Environment and Our People. As a trusted partner to municipalities, First Nations communities, businesses, governments and institutions across Ontario, we provide our clients with total solutions in water and wastewater. We are dedicated to working closely with our clients to help them build healthy, sustainable communities and organizations, and provide safe, reliable drinking water to thousands of Ontarians each day.
Join our team as a water/wastewater professional with OCWA!
As part of a program to build Water and Wastewater Technician capacity in the Eastern Region, you may be assigned to multiple work locations for training and work assignments, where you will use your skills to operate and maintain the wastewater facilities within the region. You may then be assigned to a particular permanent work location (e.g. home base) as vacancies arise.
In this role, you will use your skills to operate and maintain the water and wastewater facilities within the Eastern Region.
Location: Carleton Place
What’s in it for you?
• Flexible learning and development opportunities.
• Opportunities for career advancement and specialization with the largest provider of water and wastewater services in Ontario.
• You will be eligible for additional pay for certification, should you be successful in completing and maintaining facility water/wastewater operator’s licences.
• Work with the partner of choice for more communities than any other water and wastewater service organization in Ontario for over 25 years.
• Work with an organization committed to innovation and advanced technology.
• A defined benefit pension plan; Comprehensive Health Plan; Life and Disability Insurance.
• Maternity and parental leave top-up benefits, including for adoptive parents.
What we are looking for:
· Class 1 Water Treatment, Class 1 Water Distribution, Class 1 Water Distribution and Supply, Class 1 Wastewater Collection, and Class 1 Wastewater Treatment certification.
· A lesser qualified candidate may be considered as an underfill, minimum Operator-in-Training (OIT), as specified in O.Reg. 128/04 of the Safe Drinking Water Act and O.Reg. 129/04 of the Ontario Water Resources Act (https://owwco.ca/getting-your-certificate-or-licence-for-the-first-time/).
· Should a successful applicant be employed as an underfill Operator, he/she will be required to write and pass the required Class 1 certification exams and Limited Surface Water or Ground Water subsystem within 90 days from their start date. If you are not certified, please review this link to find out how to become certified: https://owwco.ca/getting-yourcertificate-or-licence-for-the-first-time/
· Bilingualism in English and French languages would be an asset.
· Availability for overtime work and ability to be on-call after regular working hours as part of a rotation are required.
· Ability to respond to on-call within a reasonable period of time.
· Valid Class G driver’s licence.
· Must be available to travel extensively within the assigned region based on operational requirements.
· Good knowledge of water and wastewater treatment processes to operate the facilities.
· Working experience in, and knowledge of, the skilled trades for the maintenance and repair of a variety of equipment and structures, including, but not limited to, the following skills: basic electrical repair, welding, plumbing, millwright, gasfitting and steamfitting.
· Sound knowledge of the Occupational Health and Safety Act, other relevant regulatory and legislative acts, codes, policies, guidelines, and procedures related to water and wastewater operations and maintenance, including health and safety procedures and WHMIS.
· Knowledge of water/sewer construction.
· Knowledge of basic mathematics and chemistry to make calculations for chemical and operating processes.
· Ability to interpret maintenance manuals, blueprints and other technical specifications, including use and storage of industrial chemicals.
· Familiarity with computers, including monitoring and operating systems.
· Familiarity with Computerized Maintenance Management Systems would be an asset.
Skills and Ability include
· Problem-solving, planning and scheduling skills to effectively inspect, operate and monitor the facilities’ processes and equipment.
· Ability to perform analysis.
· Ability to perform routine preventive maintenance, take samples, interpret results and make process control adjustments to resolve operating issues.
· Good oral and written communication skills to collaborate with coworkers, clients, and suppliers, and to maintain accurate logs and writing reports.
· Ability to work in a team environment and willingness to take initiative.
· Ability to perform manual labour.
The OPS/OCWA Commitment to diversity, inclusion, accessibility, and anti-racism:
We are committed to build a workforce that reflects the communities we serve and to promote a diverse, anti-racist, inclusive, accessible, merit-based, respectful and equitable workplace.
We invite all interested individuals to apply and encourage applications from people with disabilities, Indigenous, Black, and racialized individuals, as well as people from a diversity of ethnic and cultural origins, sexual orientations, gender identities and expressions.
Visit the OPS Anti-Racism Policy < https://www.ontario.ca/page/ontario-public-service-anti-racism-policy > and the OPS Diversity and Inclusion Blueprint < https://www.ontario.ca/page/ops-inclusion-diversity-blueprint > pages to learn more about the OPS commitment to advance racial equity, accessibility, diversity, and inclusion in the public service.
We offer employment accommodation across the recruitment process and all aspects of employment consistent with the requirements of Ontario’s Human Rights Code < http://www.ohrc.on.ca/en/ontario-human-rights-code >. Refer to the application instructions below if you require a disability-related accommodation.
Visit our website at https://ocwa.com/ to learn more about OCWA and to view all current opportunities.
Salary Range: $24.91 – $27.70 per hour (plus pay for water and wastewater certification)
· 1 Permanent, 122 Patterson Cres, Carleton Place, ON
Please apply by e-mail, only, with an application or resume and a covering letter (PDF format preferred) saved as JOB ID – First Last Name, clearly, completely and concisely showing how you meet what we are looking for, and quoting Job ID 191352 (File No. OCWA-286-22-ER), by Friday, December 2, 2022, to:
Ontario Clean Water Agency
Hiring Manager: Austin Mitchell
Attention: Kelly Klein-Swormink
Only those applicants selected for further screening or an interview will be contacted.
Ontario Clean Water Agency is an equal opportunity employer
We will accommodate your needs under the Ontario Human Rights Code
Maintenance Millwright – (Will Consider an Experienced 433A Apprentice) Primary Purpose: The Maintenance Millwright is responsible for the installation, maintenance,...Apply For This Job
Technician – Maintenance/Manufacturing Support Metalumen is looking for a Technician – Manufacturing Support to be the “right hand” for our...Apply For This Job
Respond to clients' concerns regarding HVAC, electrical, plumbing and general repair issues by solving problems or making repairs as required...Apply For This Job